Disclaimer: You are by no means obligated to listen to my advice. I am just sharing my knowledge. Everyone is more than free to do what they want. 🙂
1. The first one is one of which I’m occasionally guilty of myself: sleeping with makeup on. Sometimes, it seems like the toughest little task to wash off your makeup when you’re already nestled cosily in bed. Still, this is a very important step that should not be skipped. Makeup is made of chemicals after all… Do you really want those chemicals to sit on your skin an additional 7 hours? Besides, sleeping with makeup causes wrinkles. Washing off it is!
2. Many people don’t know this, but makeup has an expiring date! Using expired makeup is very bad for your skin and can cause very bad infections. On Pinterest I found a little chart to show all products’ expiration dates. Especially mascara is one a lot of people seem to forget. I once had an eye infection because of an expired mascara, let me tell you, not fun!
3. Argh, this is a terrible one: pumping the mascara wand into the tube. It’s very bad to do this! Through pumping the wand, you push bacteria inside the container, enlarging the chances of getting an eye infection. And it’s not like you’ll get more product on the wand. So remember: no pumping!
Also, expensive mascara doesn’t mean it’s better! My favorite mascara of all times is this one from Essence, and it’s about €3, not bad huh?
4. Dirty Brushes. This seems a logical one, but yet, I fail this one too sometimes. I hate using dirty brushes but it seems like a very hard task to clean them every single week. Fortunately I found a little trick that works for me, to clean my brushes easily and rather quickly. Want to know how? Let me know in the comments, I just might make an article about it. 😉
5. Working out with makeup on. Okay, I get wanting to wear a tad of waterproof mascara when you go to the gym (psssh, I’m guilty too!), but really? A full face of makeup? False lashes? Do you really want to look like a panda bear when you’re done and all sweaty? It’s not a very attractive look if you ask me. Try keeping it to a minimum. It’s better for your skin because it is able to breathe and sweat, and you don’t risk looking like a raccoon at the end of your workout.
6. Storing makeup (brushes) in a hot bathroom/place. I did not know about this one until I read it in a magazine a few months ago, although it’s quite obvious. Storing makeup brushes in a hot space, especially if there’s no window, is asking for trouble! A moist area with no ventilation will cause bacteria to stick to your brushes, which just isn’t healthy for your skin or eyes.
7. Forgetting the neckline when applying foundation. I sometimes forget this too and it causes awkward situations. Your complexion’s color and your neckline color will always be different. So if you apply the right foundation on to face, it might not be the same color as your neck. Simply put the makeup also on your neck to avoid too much of a difference in color. The same goes for applying day creams etc; do not forget your neck! It needs loving too.
8. Throwing makeup away when it’s broken. You know that feeling when one of your favorite palettes or lipsticks break? Yeah, it’s shitty. But there’s ways to fix this!
- Broken lipstick: take the part that’s broken and hold a little flame to it for a few seconds; next, put the broken part back into the tube and wait a few seconds. Voila, your lipstick is back in one piece.
- Broken eyeshadow/powder: take some pure alcohol (not too much!) and pour it in the shadow/powder. Smooth it out with your finger and let it rest for a couple of hours. Tada, makeup is fixed!
9. Forgetting to use sunscreen, even when the sun is not out. Even though we don’t always see the sun, she’s definitely shining. Many people know that the sun isn’t healthy for your skin, but still don’t use a sunscreen. This causes your skin to age rapidly and can cause cancer. Try using a foundation with an SPF in, and you’ll be safe every day.
10. Using products solely for their mentioned purpose. There is no ‘right’ way to use makeup. Makeup is an art and you are free to experiment with it. A highlighter and a blush can work as eyeshadows and vice versa. Lipstick can function as a blush. Eyeshadow can be used for eyebrow powder etc etc. Take a look at your makeup stash and dare to play around with it! There are no rules 🙂
I hope some of these tips help you out with your beauty routines. Like I said, you’re not obligated to follow this advice.
Also, this will be my last post for the upcoming weeks. Finals are coming and I want to keep offering you the same quality every week, but I also need to focus on my exams (as I have a lot of them). But no worries, I’ll be back before you know it! Subscribe to my mailinglist if you want to be notified when I’m back! You can also follow me on instagram, as I will keep it updated throughout the exam period!
See you all soon!
Have a lovely day.